Monday, August 12, 2013

Job Prospects - Also, Space Opera In Your Pants

Good Day, Blogger world!  :)

Another week begins!  Or rather, my 5-day weekend begins, as I just finished my 2 day work week.  The job search continues, though I am hoping hard that one of my recent applications does come to fruition.  It is that rare gem that is actually in the field I studied.  This wouldn't just be a way of paying my mortgage - it could be a solid stepping-stone in my career.  I've sent the application in already, so now all I can do is wait and think of ways to prepare for the potential interview - and possibly even success.  It's easy to forget to prepare for success.  It requires cautious optimism, and more than a little bit of foresight.  I shall attempt a vision of the future, and prepare as necessary.

In other news, I just got back from vacation, which, among other things, means I've finished reading a book!  Not something that happens as often as it used to, and I'm working on changing that.  I bought this book of short stories quite a few years ago, and I've been making my way through it very slowly.  All the stories in this book are sci-fi/fantasy, and they are all in some way about music.  It seemed like a really interesting premise - not to mention a shoe-in for the suffix "In Your Pants".  If you don't know what I'm talking bout, this video should give you the necessary background (applicable information beginning at 2:18):



Honestly, I may have bought this book before Vlogbrothers had even gotten started.  Just to give you an idea of how long I've had it, I just noticed I'd been using a Kleenex coupon that expired on the last day of 2007 as a bookmark.

The book was put together by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, and contains 20 stories in total.  They make a varied and interesting collection, each story by a different author, with as diverse a range of settings and characters as one could ask.  I love music, as do a lot of people of course.  It's possible that a story inspired by music has that touch of magic to it.  I know this book had more than a few gems that I'll remember fondly.  A good read over all - bite-sized pieces of diverse imaginations, each interpreting the theme in their own way.

I think that's all for now.  Thanks for reading!  Later Blogger world!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment