Friday, July 26, 2013

Unexpectedly Free Day - Also, Elfquest!

Good day, Blogger world!

It's a grey, humid day when I thought I'd be venturing out solely for the purposes of dance class.  Then my teacher sent me a message saying class was cancelled this week - so I might just stay at home being sweaty and unshowered today, at least until my dye projects dry.  I've been making costumes, and this has required messing around with a dye, which means my washroom is being taken up by a big drying rack right now.  In the meantime...

I would like to take this opportunity to write another book review post - though really it's about a graphic novel series rather than one book.  Some of you may have heard of Elfquest, the sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel series that began in the 70s, if I'm not mistaken.  I stumbled across it years ago.  Haven't seen anything quite like it before or since.  It can be called sci-fi because there is a certain amount of 'science' within the magic of it all.  It is an adult graphic novel, though a teenage audience could (and I have no doubt does) appreciate it as well.  I would describe it as an adult fairy tale, even the later sci-fi extensions of the story.  The cartooning style is definitely cartoonish, and how this manages to go hand in hand with the adult content of the stories (which is definitely not hard-core, but is there) is something I find to be unique, even though I'm not really sure why I find it so unusual.  New additions to the series have been added in recent years by the original creators, to add to the many different formats and incarnations this series has already had.  There's been a collection of chapters books, various creators interpreting and adding to the series, different artists, and a couple of attempts at a movie (one of which is ongoing, if I'm not mistaken).  I'd be holding out on you if I didn't say you can find the mother load of the Elfquest series online, right here:  


Of course there are some things you can't find there yet (as far as I've found), such as the chapter books.  I own and have read them all, and it was a good read each time.  One of my favorite parts of the series is the story at the beginning of book 2 ("Wolfsong Volume 2, The Blood of Ten Chiefs), titled "Colours", translated in graphic novel form illustrated with watercolour.  There is also an obscure bit, the 9th installment in the New Blood group of stories, that I feel really gets to the core of the philosophy behind the whole series, the whole story.  This is the part that amazes me about the series.  It starts to feel like a mythology more than a graphic novel series.  No doubt it takes roots in the imagination.  The mark of a truly excellent creative work! 

Alright, I think I've geeked out enough for one day.  I just wanted to share that with you, as it is, well and truly, my favorite graphic novel series of all time.  

Later Blogger world!  

No comments:

Post a Comment