Saturday, December 15, 2012

An Update for Right Now

   Edit:  Since making this post I've found out that the quote I referred to was probably not something said by Morgan Freeman, and that there are differing accounts about what actions Victoria Soto took to protect her students.  However, I still feel that the content of the wrongly attributed quote holds water, and by all accounts Victoria Soto did protect her students.  

    It is time to give the blog some attention.  I'm down a job these days, once again.  Honestly, I hope this helps me turn things around.  Maybe I need to go about things differently.  I'm planning on getting internet at my place, at last.  It might not save me money, but it will very likely save me time, and I've found these things to be of similar value.

    While I think of these everyday things, people in Connecticut are coming to terms with an unimaginable and so far inexplicable tragedy.  No explanation will be satisfactory, but not knowing anything about why this happened is maddening.  Does it seem as if 2012 has had more than its share of this kind of tragedy?  2011 was pretty chaotic too.  I just read a quote apparently by Morgan Freeman, pointing out that these are the things that make the news, that people who do these things may well be looking to go out in a memorable fashion, and are being helped in that by the way the media reports on these things.  This comes up alongside gun control and mental health issues, and you know, it seems to hold as much water.  Gun control and healthcare may have had something to do with it, but fame is a major motivator for a lot of people.  It's still hard to imagine how a person can feel it's worth innocent lives, but we have seen it happen.  In another case, a student named Jun Lin might still be alive today if not for this very thing.  Someone on my facebook posted a list of the names (and ages) of the victims in the Connecticut shooting.  I'd like to repost them in the same spirit:

Charlotte Bacon, age 6

Daniel Barden, age 7


Olivia Engel, age 6


Josephine Gay, age 7


Ana M Marquez-Greene, age 6



Dylan Hockley, age 6

Madeleine F Hsu, age 6

Catherine V Hubbard, age 6

Chase Kowalski , age 7

Jesse Lewis, age 6

James Mattioli, age 6

Grace McDonnell, age 7

Emilie Parker, age 6

Jack Pinto, age 6

Noah Pozner, age 6

Caroline Previdi, age 6

Jessica Rekos, age 6

Avielle Richman, age 6

Benjamin Wheeler, age 6

Allison N Wyatt, age 6

Rachel Davino, age 29

Dawn Hochsprung, age 47

Anne Marie Murphy, age 52

Lauren Rousseau, age 30

Mary Sherlach, age 56

Victoria Soto, age 27

    I don't know that I'll every be able to remember all these names, but they are the ones that deserve the attention.  The last name here is that of a teacher who saved all her students by hiding them in cabinets and closets, and saying they had gone to the gym.  Imagine the nerve this must have taken.  This is her picture.  She definitely looks like someone I'd have liked to know.  Fewer are the clues that she had courage like that - at least that one picture can tell.  

     Hopefully these will be the people who are remembered after this.  Let us remember the heroes, heroines, and good people among us, and let the villains fade into oblivion.  

    Since this is an art blog, I should post some art before I leave.  I finished this a few days ago (before all of this happened).  I'd started it months ago and put it away for a while.  Finally got it out and finished it.  


It's called "Guardian", and while it's not exactly related to this tragedy, it seems appropriate in this case.    I think I'll wrap this up here.  It's been a bit of a meandering post, but it's what I've got for today.  Remembering the good people....

PS:  I apologize for the patchy colouring of the text in this blog.  I can't for the life of me get it to do what I want right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment