Sunday, August 26, 2012

About Ink

Hello again, Blogger world!

I've been painting. Or drawing. Rendering with ink, brush, and occasionally water. Drawing continues to be my strength, and ink my material of choice. Most often because it's portable, but in this case I'm enjoying the effects of it when applied in different ways. Seems like it could lead to watercolour. We'll see.

Maple Leaf Ink Drawing by ~Eseopia on deviantART This was done just with pen, ink, and brush. I love working with the brush strokes. It started out as a still-life sketch just with pen as I was out and about one day. Then I finished it when I got home. Dragon Ink Panting by ~Eseopia on deviantART This is an example of me working with ink with brush and water, plus pen. I'm enjoying that a lot. I feel I've only scratched the surface of what I can do with it.

Ink is surprisingly versatile. It seems like it wouldn't be because it's so permanent, unlike pencil or chalk pastel. It's true that there isn't much going back once you've put the ink down, but there's so much to be done with it! I love having pens around to work with because I'm not constantly having to sharpen them or clean up eraser bits, spray noxious fixative on the finished work so it won't smudge. I still use pencil quite a lot in the under sketches, but in a pinch I can make do with just a pen. I've noticed some similarities with silk paint, which I've been exploring, and watercolour too. I like when different parts of my art practice can inform each other.

That is all for now. Until next time, Bloggerverse!

No comments:

Post a Comment