Saturday, June 9, 2012

On to the next thing....

Good day, Blogger world!

As I type, I'm watching Mythbusters, with a laptop resting on 3 boxes full of fabric strips. These will appear in this blog again at some future time, if all goes according to plan. The silk veil from post 2, and its subsequent twin, worked out well, though they also yielded some lessons and things to try next time. Next time I need to paint two of anything, I'll have to see if I can't do it by letting the paint saturate through both layers (suggested by a friend). Silk saturates pretty fast, so I anticipate interesting and unexpected effects.

On to the next thing. I have this book. Actually, I have lots of books. Craft books. I can't get enough of them! They're like catalogues full of customizable goodies! Also tricks, secrets, and ideas to try in my own experiments. This particular book is big on those last three, though it's got some good full-length projects too. This is something I'd love to start doing on this blog: Craft book reviews. Not just reading them and writing about them, but making the projects and writing about my experiences :). I've already started the review for this one:

The book is "Generation T: 108 ways to transform a T-shrit" by Megan Nicolay. Like most people, I've always had T-shirts. I have a couple of old T-shirts that I’ll wear right out before I even think about cutting into them. My beloved “Summer Rock Camp ‘95” T shirt, which I’m wearing right now, is one of them. It’s comfortable, loose, and comes with good memories of the Rock and Roll music camps I went to as a kid.





The other is one my Mom found at a flea market. Splashy red to purple dye job with black outlined stars and moon, plus a large red comet-blob above text pronouncing a fiery end to the cow that jumped over the moon. The back simply says 1988 Jason J. Brown (upside-down, as I just noticed :P).







These are my sleeping shirts, and I am so very proud of them ^_^. I had (and still have) a large number of T-shirts I was sentimentally attached too, but didn’t wear nearly as often as I do my sleep shirts. Many of them went into the first project I completed out of this book (yes, I’ve already gotten some use out of it) - the Quilt that now covers my bed (must remember to get a snapshot next time I make my bed).





On to the book! Right off the bat, I am assured that I’ll find something to inspire me in “Generation T”. This has already proven true. I am also told that I won’t have to learn a new skill (many of these projects don’t even require sewing) and I won’t have to shop for materials at “specialty stores”. Rare is the craft book that can promise that (we’ll see if it holds true). With any luck, the farthest I’ll have to go is Value Village (what would really impress me is if I managed to explore this book in full without making one shopping trip). I may have already defeated that hope by picking up those Neon Ts from Michaels a while back, but if I don’t have to go shopping during the course of this exploration/book review, I’ll still consider it a success.

(Note to self - plug my Cafepress T-shirts at every opportunity! @_@)

It isn’t often that I read the preamble at the beginning of a craft book (even if it’s for my own good :P). It’s all I can do not to plunge ahead with this one too (I suppose I have already, having already done the quilt). It occurs to me that they aren’t including a sewing machine in the list of tools I’ll need. I may end up going to the machine anyway, though I’ll be relieved not to be restricted to the sewing room. The explanations of different tools are detailed, even going so far as to explain what things like needles and straight pins are. At least it's comprehensive.

(Note to self - I can design pins - as in buttons - in my Cafepress to…O_o).

I'm now writing this entry a few days later than I started it (in fact the review itself is something I started writing a while ago). So I'll wrap this up here, with a little more self-promotion for good measure ^_^. As I mentioned before, I have a Cafepress shop featuring products with my designs on them. And yes, many of those products are T-shirts. I promised myself I would avoid making new purchases during the course of reviewing this book, but really, it's all I can do not to think of the possibilities where DIY meets customization :D.

Cafepress has a widget generator, but I seem only to be able to get a few products on it, all with the same design. No sense is being made by this, but at least I can (hopefully) show you this adorable pet T-shirt with my Inkblot Dragon design on it :).

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress




It turned out to be a button instead. Fine, Cafepress, fine >_<. I hope you like my self-designed dragon button :P! I also hope that it actually turns out to be linking to something, because otherwise it isn't all that useful. More mysteries to be solved....

On that note, before I do injury to this innocent computer monitor, later Blogger world!

No comments:

Post a Comment